I love roasted sweet potatoes and parsnips! Olive oil, sea salt, and a delightfully smooth and complex flavor and texture inside that you can only get from roasting. Yum!!! Roasting vegetables is a wonderful way to prepare and enjoy them. It was only a year ago that I discovered parsnips for the very first time. While not my favorite raw, when I roasted them for the first time I fell in love with them. I will definitely be growing parsnips in my garden!
This recipe is really simple to do and well worth the effort and wait. I used white sweet potatoes in my recipe to go with my parsnips. White sweet potatoes roast beautifully and have a mild sweet flavor. They are also a good substitute for regular potatoes if you are on a special diet (as is my sister-in-law). I’m sure you could also use the traditional orange yams in this dish, or better yet, why not all three? The choice is yours! I got both the parsnips and the white sweet potatoes from our local organic farm. They are a nice winter vegetable that is hearty and in season right now.
The way I make my roasted sweet potatoes and parsnips is to first wash them well. I then peel them (I love my peeler!) and dice them into bite-sized chunks.
Next I lay them out into a single layer on a baking sheet. I then drizzle about 2 T of olive oil over the top of the vegetables. I stir them around to try and evenly coat them with the olive oil. Then I sprinkle salt and pepper all over the top. The amount is up to you!
I bake the sweet potatoes and parsnips in a pre-heated oven at 400 degrees F for about 35 min. You will want to stir them periodically to coat with the olive oil. If you like them a little bit brown (like I do) then leave them in a few extra minutes. When you remove them, drizzle the roasted sweet potatoes and parsnips with wild raw honey. It’s amazing what a tiny bit of honey can do to the flavor of this dish. It really brings out the sweetness in the sweet potatoes and the combination with the salt is exquisite! This would make a great side dish to any meal.
Here is the recipe:
- 3-4 parsnips, peeled
- 3 white sweet potatoes, peeled
- Sea salt
- Wild Raw honey
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash and peel parsnips and sweet potatoes.
- Cut them into bite-sized chunks and lay the vegetables in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Drizzle with 2 T olive oil. Stir to coat.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper. (I sprinkle generously. The amount is up to you.)
- Bake for 35 minutes or until the roasted vegetables are cooked inside and brown to liking. Stir periodically throughout roasting to help evenly coat the vegetables with the olive oil.
- Remove from oven and drizzle with wild raw honey. Serve warm.