Apple Cinnamon Syrup is a delightfully light syrup with an intense flavor that is sure to please. Since beginning our 30 day sugar fast, I have been desperate for something sweet. This is the perfect solution! I made some 100% whole wheat bread using honey instead of sugar and decided to use some of it to make French Toast (I’ll include my recipe for French Toast below). So yummy! I really wanted to have something more on top than just unsweetened applesauce (though that is also a great alternative) and so I decided to try my hand at making a sugar-free apple syrup.
The amazing thing about this syrup is that not only does it taste great on French Toast or pancakes, it was also SUPER easy to make!!! I usually make low-sugar syrups to begin with so this was a fun challenge for me. The secret? Corn starch. I thickens liquids beautifully and is simple to use. Another alternative to corn starch is to use arrowroot powder. I often make my fruit syrups with fresh fruit, but today I needed something fast, so I used 100% apple juice.
While this syrup is technically “sugar-free,” it does have natural sugars from the apple juice as well as a touch of honey (which is optional but really adds to the flavor). To make the syrup, I measured out 2 c of apple juice and poured it into a sauce pan. I added 2 tsp. of cinnamon (yes, it is strong on the cinnamon – you can add less, but I wanted a lot of it), 1-2 T of honey (I sort of drizzled some in), stirred it and slowly brought it to a boil. When it was boiling, I got ready to add the cornstarch. One tip when using corn starch to help avoid clumps is to mix it in a little bit of water prior to pouring it into your hot liquid. This helps to avoid the clumps so common with corn starch.
I took about 1/4 c of water and mixed in 2 T of corn starch with a fork until it was all dissolved. I then slowly poured the corn starch mixture into the apple juice and used a whisk to stir it in. I then lowered the heat to medium-low and simmered the syrup until it reached the desired thickness.
That’s it! Simple, sweet, light, and irresistible! Enjoy!
- 2 c apple juice
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1-2 T honey
- 2 T corn starch
- ¼ c water
- Pour apple juice into a sauce pan.
- Add cinnamon and honey.
- Turn heat onto medium-high and bring to a light boil.
- In a separate bowl, mix corn starch and water together with a fork.
- Slowly pour into boiling apple juice, whisking quickly as you do so.
- Turn heat to medium-low and simmer syrup until desired thickness is achieved.
- Serve over favorite French Toast or pancakes!
- 6 slices bread
- ½ c milk
- 1 egg
- pinch of salt
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. sugar (optional)
- Whisk together milk, egg, salt, cinnamon, and sugar (optional).
- Dip bread into the egg/milk mixture and, using a fork, flip it to coat the bread on both sides.
- Remove the coated bread and cook it on a hot griddle until one side is brown.
- Flip it and brown the other side.
- Serve with your favorite syrup!
Man I love this idea! Only 1-2 Tbsp. of honey for a syrup recipe? YUM!
Thank you. It’s a healthy alternative to regular syrups but still satisfies the sweet tooth:)