Broccoli Cheddar Soup! Is there anything better? Yum! As we get closer to fall, my taste buds crave warm and delicious comfort food. Cheesy cream of broccoli soup and creamy potato corn chowder are all time favorites of mine, however, they’re not nice on my waistline. I wanted to make something yummy, savory, and hearty, but also somewhat healthy. In response, I played around with ingredients, combined recipes, and created this Skinny Potato Broccoli Cheddar Soup recipe. It totally hit the spot!
While this recipe still has cheddar cheese in it, it cuts out the cream and has less cheese than many recipes I’ve tried. When served in a homemade bread bowl, this soup tastes like a little bit of heaven!
Tips for making Skinny Potato Broccoli Cheddar Soup
#1 Use milk instead of cream
First of all, to make this potato broccoli cheddar soup lighter, I used milk instead of cream. Because there is chicken broth in the soup, a rich flavor is still present without the added fat.
#2 Use fresh corn kernels
Next, I used fresh corn kernels in this soup recipe. While not necessary, it added a wonderful flavor to the soup. I used 3 cobs of corn and used a knife to scrape off the kernels. You could also use canned corn or frozen corn to make it a faster process.
#3 Blend your flour and milk ahead of time to avoid clumps
In addition to those tips, to thicken the soup, I blended the milk with the flour before adding it. I used my Vitamix to blend the milk and flour together to prevent flour clumps in my soup. This worked remarkably well. You could also try using cornstarch for a different flavor and thickener.
#4 Puree part of the soup for a creamier texture
Next, another tip to make the Potato Broccoli Cheddar Soup creamy and thick is to puree half of the soup in a blender. By only pureeing half, I had a super creamy consistency but still had yummy chunks of vegetables left. I really liked this combination.
#5 Serve your Skinny Potato Broccoli Cheddar Soup warm for best results
In conclusion, overall, the soup was a success and my entire family loved it! I served it warm as soon as it was done cooking. Be sure to try it with homemade French Bread Bowls!!! Here’s the recipe for the Skinny Potato Broccoli Cheddar Soup:
Skinny Potato Broccoli Cheddar Soup
This hearty, savory potato broccoli cheddar soup is a lower fat option of a fall favorite. It includes potatoes, broccoli, and corn. It is best served warm in a bread bowl.
- 4 c chicken broth (or 4 c water and 1 T chicken bouillon)
- 1 large bunch broccoli, chopped (about 3 c)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 c fresh corn kernels
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1-2 tsp. salt (to taste)
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper (to taste)
- 4 c skim or 1% milk
- 1/2 c flour
- 1 1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese
- Step 1 First, in a medium saucepan, combine chicken broth, broccoli, onion, corn, potatoes, salt, and pepper.
- Step 2 Bring to a boil and then reduce heat. Simmer about 15 minutes, or until vegetables are cooked and tender.
- Step 3 Next, in a blender, combine milk and flour. Mix until well blended.
- Step 4 Add milk mixture to soup. Return soup to a boil and then reduce heat to a low simmer. Stir constantly to prevent milk from scalding. Cook soup mixture until it slightly thickens. (Don’t worry, it will thicken more when you add the puree and cheese.)
- Step 5 At this point, remove half of the soup mixture and puree it in a blender. Pour blended mixture back into the saucepan.
- Step 6 While pouring the puree in, stir the soup until combined. Then, when the soup is at a nice consistency, add shredded cheddar cheese (reserving a few tablespoons to sprinkle on top). Allow cheese to melt entirely in soup.
- Step 7 Finally, serve the Skinny Potato Broccoli Cheddar Soup warm, in a bread bowl if desired.
Until next time!
Click here for more recipes!
TO PURCHASE SOME OF MY PHOTOGRAPHS THROUGH THE STOCK AGENCY, VISIT SHUTTERSTOCK TODAY!
Please note, this website may contain ads and affiliate links. Thank you for your support and for making this site possible!