I don’t know why, but for some reason lately I have had chocolate on the brain. You know what I’m talking about! Right? It was so bad yesterday, that I opened up a jar of hot fudge sauce intended for ice cream and ate a scoop right out of it! Not my norm, but here we are:) In light of this chocolate addiction/craze, I wanted to share a recipe that I created out of desperation and necessity. The resulting cake was a really moist and delicious egg-free chocolate cake recipe.
Why would I make an egg-free cake you ask?
Well, for one, I didn’t have any eggs in my fridge and my daughter had the car at school so I was stuck. As the old adage says, “Necessity is the mother of invention.” I looked in my fridge and pantry to see what I DID have on hand with the hope of pulling off a culinary miracle.
What makes this chocolate cake so moist and delicious?
When I looked in my fridge I saw that had some leftover sour cream as well as applesauce. I thought, “I can work with this.” So I did what any self respecting woman in need of chocolate would do and created a new recipe for chocolate cake. I had no idea how it would turn out but that’s half the fun of baking.
Amazingly, the chocolate cake cooked beautifully! Which kind of shocked me. I think the secret for the moistness WAS the applesauce and sour cream.
The chocolate cake was so spongy feeling, in fact, that I almost didn’t wait for it to cool before frosting it.
I ran downstairs and took these photos in my studio just in case it tasted good and then ate my first bite. All I can say is, “Wow!” Either I really needed chocolate, or this was a really good chocolate cake!
I saved some chocolate cake for Dave for when he got home from work. While I thought he would like it, I didn’t expect his reaction. He took one bite and then proclaimed, “This is the best chocolate cake I’ve ever had!” Gotta love having some husband praise for your self esteem:)
I smiled and said, “You’re welcome!” So now, I share this recipe with you in the event that you have a crazy need for chocolate cake one day. Even though it is egg-free, the applesauce created a yummy moistness and texture to the cake. Topped with my dark chocolate buttercream frosting it was to die for, literally. We will definitely be making this cake again, egg-free and all!
Moist and Delicious Egg-Free Chocolate Cake
This moist and delicious chocolate cake recipe is amazingly egg-free. Topped with a dark chocolate buttercream frosting, it is sure to please!
- 1/2 c butter
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 c light sour cream
- 1 c unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 c sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 c flour
- 1/4 c cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Step 2 Heat butter for 30 sec. in microwave and then set aside.
- Step 3 In a separate small bowl, mix together baking soda and sour cream. Allow it to sit while mixing other ingredients. It will puff up.
- Step 4 In a large mixing bowl, beat together the eggs and vanilla. Add the sour cream mixture, cooled butter, and sugar. Mix well.
- Step 5 Add the baking powder, flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Beat together until ingredients are mixed.
- Step 6 Pour into a greased and floured 9×13 baking pan and bake for 25 min (or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean).
- Step 7 Cool and frost with a dark chocolate buttercream icing (or your favorite frosting). Enjoy!
To purchase some of my photographs through the stock agency, visit Shutterstock or contact me today!
Please note, this website contains ads and affiliate links. Thank you for your support and for making this site possible!