Introducing the Egg, Broccoli, Potato Skillet Recipe. Yes, it tastes as good as it looks. Have you ever wanted to get your kids to eat more healthy vegetables? Have you been craving eggs prepared in a new way? Do you need to cook for a crowd? Do you have a New Year’s Resolution to get more protein and produce into your diet? This Egg, Broccoli, and Potato Skillet recipe came about in part as an answer to all of those questions. I love baked egg casseroles but don’t like how much butter and cheese is normally included in the recipes. I also like including as many fresh fruits and vegetables as I can for my own health as well as the health of my family.
We currently get a lot of our produce from a local organic farm. Each box contains vegetables and fruits that are in season. I love knowing where my food comes from, supporting the farmer, and eating locally. If not from my own garden, this is the next best thing. We received a shipment from the farm with spinach and broccoli, among other things (winter crops here in sunny California). I also had some red potatoes and white onion on hand that I wanted to use.
As I mulled about what I could make, I came up with this recipe and it turned out better than I had imagined! First of all, I decided to scrub and then boil the red potatoes until they were cooked. I sliced them, leaving the skins on (I like the skins and they add extra nutrients and fiber), and laid them in a single layer on the bottom of a cast iron skillet (which is GREAT for baking in the oven!). I chopped up the broccoli, diced the onion and sauteed them on high for a few minutes until tender crisp.
Combining those ingredients with some seasonings (see recipe below) and freshly harvested eggs from our chickens (yes we have chickens!!! I will save that post for another day:)), I poured everything into the skillet, and 30 minutes later a piping hot breakfast was ready to go. My weight training son was so happy to have this much protein. There were no leftovers!
- 4 small red potatoes, boiled and sliced thin (I think I boiled mine for about 10 min or so)
- 1 small head broccoli (peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces)
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 bunch organic spinach, washed and chopped (about a handful)
- 1-2 slices bacon (optional, but really tasty)
- 10 eggs
- ⅓ c milk
- salt and pepper (to taste, I think I put about ¼ tsp. pepper, and ½-3/4 tsp. salt)
- Cheddar cheese, grated, small handful
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Coat cast iron skillet with oil or cooking spray.
- Place cooked, sliced red potatoes in a single layer on the bottom of the cast iron skillet.
- In a separate pan, sautee the broccoli, onion, and spinach in a little bit of olive oil for a few minutes until the broccoli is tender crisp.
- Place vegetables into the cast iron skillet on top of the sliced red potatoes.
- If you have cooked bacon, sprinkle it on top of the vegetable mixture.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk. Add the salt and pepper a whisk a few more times.
- Pour egg mixture on top of vegetables in the cast iron skillet and sprinkle a small handful of shredded cheese on top.
- Place in pre-heated oven and bake for 30 minutes or until eggs have completely set.
- Serve warm!
Mmmm… Looks really good. Love the photos!